|209 - Food not protected from contamination [s. 12(a)]|
Observation (CORRECTED DURING INSPECTION): 1) One stack of uncovered napkins and disposable cups were stored in a cabinet that had rodent droppings on them.
2) A few empty containers had rodent droppings inside them.
3) Three garbage bags were being used to store food equipment. This equipment is used by Tynehead Community Association and the next event is the third Wednesday in December 2019 according to the Person in Charge.
Corrective Action(s): 1) Aforementioned unpackaged disposable single-use items were discarded by the Person in Charge as they may have been contaminated by the mouse.
2) Food containers were rewashed and sanitized through the dishwasher during the inspection. Make sure all unpackaged items and food equipment are kept stored inside pest-proof food grade containers with tight fitting lids to protect them from contamination; Correct immediately.
3) Remove the garbage bags and rewash and sanitize the food equipment in the garbage bags through the dishwasher; Correct by November 22, 2019. Do not use garbage bags to store food equipment since they can have odour-suppressing chemicals and pesticides on them. Only use food grade materials/containers/packaging to store food utensils and equipment.
Violation Score: 9
304 - Premises not free of pests [s. 26(a)]
Observation: Rodent droppings were observed in the following areas:
-Floor corners in the kitchen: floor behind the door, floor between the refrigeration unit and stove, and floor next to the stove-top.
-Storage cabinets with three shelves for the Tynehead community hall
-Storage cabinets below the sink units.
-Cart and floor near the coolers near the dining hall.
Corrective Action(s): 1. Clean and sanitize the storage cabinets with chlorine sanitizer (1 part bleach with 9 parts water using a 20 minute contact time); Correct by November 22, 2019. Continue monitoring for signs of recent pest activity and clean and santiize all affected areas immediately.
2. Rewash and sanitize the lids of the storage containers in the cabinets. Continue to store the preparation utensils and food equipment in the sealed food containers.
3. Recommended: Contract a professional pest control company and have them provide a service to catch the rodents. Currently, a Director of the Tynhead Community hall is setting up snap traps themselves.
4. Keep doors to the kitchen shut between use to prevent rodents from entering into the kitchen from the hall and other areas of the facility.
Violation Score: 9
305 - Conditions observed that may allow entrance/harbouring/breeding of pests [s. 26(b),(c)]
Observation: 1) A small hole was observed at the bottom of side entrance double door.
2) Storage cabinet had a gap on the left side of it which leads into the basement according to the Person in Charge.
Corrective Action(s): 1) Make sure there is no hole below the door (e.g. replace the weather-strip) to prevent rodents from entering the facility. Correct by November 29, 2019.
2) Re-seal the storage cabinets so that there are no entry points for rodents; Correct by November 29, 2019.
Violation Score: 3
315 - Refrigeration units and hot holding equipment lack accurate thermometers [s. 19(2)]
Observation: Thermometers were not available inside the two refrigeration units near the dining hall ("bar area").
Corrective Action(s): Ensure these refrigeration units are equipped with accurate thermometers; Correct by November 19, 2019.
Violation Score: 1