Follow up inspection was conducted in response to a reported power outage in the 9000 block near 152 street Surrey B.C possibly in relation to a fire at a nearby food service establishment. Power outage was reported to occur in the area on April 11, 2019 from approximately 5:10 AM to 8:52 AM.
Store Manager stated that the following:
-They followed their regular food safety practices during a power outage.
-Generator is for lights only and is not linked to the refrigeration units.
-Some food products were transferred into refer trucks early in the morning to keep them at or below 4 degrees C according to the Manager.
-Whereas potentially hazardous food products (e.g. deli meat, certain beef, poultry and pork products, sandwiches, certain baked goods, certain hot-held food in the kitchen, etc.) above 4 degrees C for more than 2 hours were discarded according to the Store Manager.
Note: Shrinkage log was available for products that were discarded on April 11, 2019.
Supervisor stated that electrical power was restored around 8:30 AM, that a maintenance company for refrigeration units provided service yesterday, and that the store re-opened at 10 AM. Supervisor stated that the refrigeration units have alarms if they go above 4 degrees C as well.
Refrigeration and freezer temperatures were satisfactory in the grocery store at the time of inspection.
Refrigeration units in the grocery store were equipped with thermometers.
Handsink was checked in the meat department and it was supplied with hot and cold running water.
Please contact the district Environmental Health Officer if you have any questions.